Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Modern Day White Out

These days, we're tethered to our mobile devices. Quite literally sometimes. A lost smart phone could cause million dollar business deals to fall through. I maintain two BlackBerrys myself ; one for work and one for Kent. This constant connectedness with millions of open-ended conversations continuously ongoing can end with user confusion. A slip of the fingertip causes a misspelling and auto correct will fix your careless and lazy digit's faults. Or so you think.

For example, take the below email exchange between me and my boss:

Kent: Your 2:30pm tomorrow has been canceled and your 5pm moved to next week.

*Outlook ping and BB vibrate, nearly simultaneously*

Boss: Gay!!!

Kent (thinking to self): ...what the hell... is this a virtual hate crime? ... From MY BOSS?! I WILL SUE!!!

*ping/vibrate*

Boss: Oops! :) I meant Yay!!!


Perhaps we should all review our HR policies, with special attention paid to these pseudo-Freudian slips.

No comments:

Post a Comment