Monday, June 22, 2009

Furlough From Life

Sunday, June 21, 1:00pm

This morning I awoke at 6:45am. I found myself stirring in a room where the Sun thinks it can shine in with the wattage of 75 flood lights. Well, I thought to myself, I’ll just sleep in the car during the 6 hour drive to Corolla, NC. That’s the Outer Banks ya’ll. First timer here. As a favorite former client of mine dubbed it, Nothingsville, NC. We’ll see if she can be proved wrong.

I felt like a naïve child on Christmas morning – I wanted to shake and yell my brother Jeff and his girlfriend Lori to life so we could start the day! But I was easily sidetracked with loading songs onto my iPod.

A 15 minute Kiehl’s since 1851 filled shower later and we sped off to Silver Diner. Lori says it’s an Arlington foodie spot post last call. Let’s hope I don’t ever actually experience that. I’ll stick to Yum’s. (Hm, Yum’s…) But! The Diner did offer up a great new condiment. I’m a big fan of condiments – for dipping, spreading, tasting, etc. This one is a classic – sour cream. With chives mixed in! Lori and I delighted in the new taste expreinced by our buds while Jeff stole our coffies for energy to propel the Toyota Corolla down 95 S. Don’t worry – I’m sharing the back seat with an acoustic guitar which needs constant guidance to prevent the neck (inanimate objects have necks?) from being touched by either my leg or the car door.

I counted earlier and there will be no less than 25 people milling about at Beach Palace (our vacay abode on Lighthouse Drive) at any given time. That’s more people than mill about at my PR firm. And exactly 24 more than I’m used to milling about in my MPR (Multi-Purpose Room a.k.a. my English Basement street level apt – not to be confused with my a.p.t.’s). Given my tremendously important career and lively social obligations, I’ve had no time to mentally prepare myself for what is to come. Perhaps I’ll do so now.

Thankfully, I have this outlet which you’re reading and gratefully (with thanks to Bday) Twitter for hourly, or minute-ly, musings to share with the world. Well, my world at least.


Beach Palace – yes, there is an elevator. Mostly for matriarch use.
If you look closely, you can see a foreshadowed me
in my CBTO (coordinated beach time outfit) on a chaise.








No comments:

Post a Comment